United Roofing's Blog

Roofing MN | Roof Flashing

Roof Flashing Most leaks take place around roof penetrations. They need to be installed correctly and checked periodically. Did you know that 90% of roof leaks are caused by improperly installed or deteriorated roof flashings? The other 10% of roof leaks are usually the result of improperly installed windows or gutters which can cause water to leak along and inside walls of your home. Roof Flashing Done Right If you’re collecting dripping water in a pot beneath your roof, you may want to inspect the roof flashing. Anywhere surfaces intersect on a roof is a prime spot for water seepage. Flashing provides the extra protection these spots need. These problem areas include the edges of skylights and chimneys, soil stacks, vent fans and roof valleys, as well as the intersection of the roof deck and dormer walls. Most flashing is made of galvanized metal, but DIY’ers may prefer aluminum flashing because it’s easier to bend. Most flashing products are designed for easy installation, and if the material is installed correctly, then your roof shouldn’t leak. However, from time to time, the nails that fasten flashing work loose, or the flashing material pulls away from seams and joints and requires maintenance. Here’s a look at some general principles of roof flashing that will help guide you through a proper repair or replacement—or even new construction. Roof Design All roofing systems are made of a number of different components: roof sheathing, underlayment, roofing material, roof intersections, flashing details and ventilation. Each of these systems must be installed correctly for the system to work as designed. Common pitched roof systems rely on...
SiteMapSEO MN