Roof Repair MN | Minnesota Roofing Minneapolis MN
Did you know that 90% of roof leaks are caused by improperly installed or deteriorated roof flashings? The other 10% of roof leaks are usually the result of improperly installed windows or gutters which can cause water to leak along and inside walls of your home.
If you have noticed your roof is looking a little more damaged than usual, or, if you have discovered some horrifying leaks in your roof, then it might be time to consider roofing repair services now.
Minnesota Roofing Repairs
Missing or Torn Shingles – have you noticed that some of your shingles have blown away or gone missing? If this is the case, then your roof is not doing its job- offering complete protection from the weather and climate. If a shingle is missing, then the roof structure is more vulnerable to water damage and rotting problems. It is best to repair any missing shingles as soon as possible to prevent the problem from spreading.
Deterioration of Shingles– another common reason for roofing repair is due to shingles deteriorating over time. This is often caused by daily wear and tear due to the harsh weather. Snow, ice and rain can all lead to water damage and rotting while sun’s rays can also cause the shingles to deteriorate over time.
Flashing deterioration – if you are noticed roof leaks in your home, then it could be due to flashing deterioration. Without good, tight flashing around your chimneys, vents and other roof structures, water can easily enter the home. In many instances, flashing problems can be fixed by simply replacing the roofing material around these structures.
Why Do You Need Roof Flashing?
Roof flashing is a critical part of preventing leaks and water seepage in your roof. Many contractors view it as the “last line of defense” against water penetration. Flashing can be made of either galvanized metal or aluminum. Most homeowners choose aluminum because it is easier to bend into the right shape and will not rust. The principle of using flashing is simple. Any place on your roof where different surfaces meet – such as dormers, the roof peak, edges, vents, skylights, etc. – requires flashing and proper sealing to prevent leaks from developing and causing great damage to your home.
Improper Flashing or Missing Flashing
Can lead to leaks where roof meets penetrations, such as chimneys and skylights or where the roof meets a wall.
Roof flashing should be installed anywhere two roof surfaces meet or when there is any kind of penetration into the roof. For instance, V-shaped flashing is used along roof peaks as well as along valleys in a roof line. Flashing is generally installed with nails on the roof. To ensure that your roof is completely waterproof, other layers of protection and sealants are also used along with the flashing.
Sometimes the nails used for attaching your flashing will come loose over time, requiring minor repairs to fasten the flashing tightly back onto the roof. Aluminum flashing is readily available at home improvement and hardware stores, and is quite easy to bend and shape as needed. This is especially useful when installing flashing around skylights, vents, or anything with a slightly odd or unusual shape.
Another important use for flashing is along the bottom edge of your roof. It is called the drip edge, and the flashing here is used to keep water and moisture from seeping under the edge of the roofing material to spread between the shingles and the underlayment. This edge area is prone to build up of ice and snow in the wintertime, which can cause water to back up under the roofing material when things start to melt. This is called an ice dam and can be prevented by using two part edge flashing and installing a heating strip just above the roof edge. The most important thing to remember about roof flashing is to use it generously along with other protective layers and sealants to keep your roof free of leaks and in good condition.
Most of the roof leaks that people experience in their homes are the result of improper installations and defective flashings. Roof leaks can happen anywhere; they are especially prominent near the chimney, step, apron, pipes, and any points at which two roofs meet. Roof leaks also frequently occur as a result of roof shingles being installed improperly or gutters that aren’t draining correctly.
If you wait too long to get the problem fixed, it could lead to serious structural damage to your entire home and the spread of life threatening black mold.
The key is to catch any damage to your roofing or siding “before” it becomes problematic. Damage that goes unrepaired is a nightmare waiting to happen. The longer the damage persists, the more it will affect your home potentially causing a larger repair costing you more money.
Contact a reliable Minnesota Roofing Contractor today for a roof you won’t have to worry about the next time one of our Minnesota storms comes our way!