Roof Damage From Ice Dams this Winter MN
Winter Roof Damage
Ice dams in the Minneapolis – St. Paul area of Minnesota can be nightmares, potentially costing you thousands.
Minnesota winters are hard on our homes. Ice dams are created by a number of factors, most importantly the damage they cause can be significant; water leaks, ice buildup, shingle damage, gutter damage and even structural damage or failure.
The severe weather this winter is not only a headache for commuters but it can also be a huge hassle and hazard for Minnesota homeowners. If you have long icicles hanging from your gutters, that’s a warning sign of possible ice dams on your roof which could lead to major damage to your home.
If you see a buildup of ice and an accumulation of icicles, you need to have a roofing contractor come and check it out. If left unattended, it can be quite expensive to fix.
- Call a professional: Removing an ice dam can be quite dangerous. A good place to start is with a reputable roofing contractor. Check and get estimates and references from contractors in your area. Gutter cleaning companies may also offer this service.
- Remove snow from the roof: If you’re tackling the job yourself, there is a special tool for removing snow called a “roof rake”. Carefully pull it down the slope of the roofline. Never pull snow across the roof. You could damage the shingles.
- Chip away at the ice: For immediate action, you can chip away through the ice dam so the water can flow through. Stop when you get close to the roofing.
- Properly ventilate and insulate the attic: The main cause of ice dams is an overly warm attic.
- Never walk on a snow-covered roof: Make sure you work from a ladder to access/fix the damage.
- Do not install mechanical equipment or water heaters in attics: These are a fire hazard. Stick to insulation to help keep heat in your home.
- Do not use salt or calcium chloride to melt snow off the roof: These chemicals are very corrosive. The runoff of these chemicals can also damage grass and plants.
MN Roof Steaming Ice Dam Removal
Has your roof been damaged by a winter storm and you’re now looking for a Minnesota roofing contractor to fix it?
Let a Minnesota roofing contractor safely eliminate snow and ice from your roof using proper techniques to help prevent leaks caused by snow build up and ice dams using special shovels and a commercial grade Low Pressure steamer to melt away the ice.
Find information about preventing ice dams at www.extension.umn.edu.